A few key facts
- About 80% of water supplied becomes wastewater. Large cities (>100, pill 000) treat about 29.2% while smaller cities treat only 3.7% of their wastewater.
- Over 160,000 Metric Tons (MT) of municipal solid waste is generated daily.
- Green building footprint in India is over 111,400,000 sq.m – Second to the USA.
- 51% food commodities contaminated with pesticide residues, 20% above minimum risk levels (MRL).
- India has one of the unhealthiest airs in the world (benzene, SOx and NOx).
- Among all the criteria air pollutants, respirable suspended particulate matter (RSPM) has emerged as the most critical pollutant. RSPM levels exceed national standards in many cities.
- About 32% of the total primary energy use and more than 70% of the country’s population depends upon biomass.